Re: Creepy Crawlies!

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:42:39 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Bas van Velzen wrote:
> Paper can, and will be eaten by many insects. Especially larvae do
> the eating, they do this to reach adulthood: in this case the moth or
> butterfly [life cycle= egg, larva, pupa, adult(imago)> egg etc.]. So when
> you see the moth/butterfly the damage has already been done. Try to catch
> the moth because she can lay eggs, and who knows if its a he or she that's

Thanks to Bas for interesting exegesis of insect nutrition & other
pointers, including "absolute filter" for vacuum, which I'll definitely
remember if I ever get energised cleanliness-wise.

So here's another question: I've wondered if photos couldn't be protected
from moths & company the way we protect our sweaters -- insertion into
plastic bags. Photo paper comes in a plastic bag inside the paper box. I
have photo paper been in (unopened) boxes in those bags for 25 years,
and, amazingly, still fine (yes, way past date but the paper really is
fine). Perhaps the metallic silver images have to "breathe" -- or do we
just like the look of linen-covered boxes better, or..........???

And speaking of photo disasters, last year we found out where the leak in
the living room ceiling originated -- in a shower wall that mainly flooded
onto boxes of prints in the studio, though that part of the action was out
of sight. Among the destroyed were uniquely toned prints, products of 15
or so baths, not recreatable. Arguably, consolation-wise, art *should* be
biodegradable -- makes room for more!

(See interesting article in Nov. Art in America about attrition in art
through history.)

Cheers,

Judy