Re: transfers - acrylic emulsion

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:57:04 -0500

At 09:08 AM 961120 +1100, Dave Soemarko wrote:
>I just want to mention that the color toner or dye from color printer won't
>last long. It will probably last only 2 years (longer or shorter depending on
>storage). For some printer you might be able to find some dye that is meant
>for outdoor display. This will last longer but probably around 5 years (check
>w/ the manufacturer).

Two points: (1) if you save the image on disk, and take care of the disk,
you always have the picture and can make all you want. Disks themselves, of
course, are not archival, but you can duplicate them every 5 yrs or so to
keep the bits from biting the dust.

(2) Just announced is an entirely new printing technology which is supposed
to be reasonable in price and, as it use pigments, make prints that have a
life longer than normal color prints. The new technology uses jets which
don't spit out ink, but blow pigment-filled resin powder (similar to laser
toner, but different system) onto whatever paper you chose which is heated
by a drum to melt the pigmented resin powder. Will post more when I get the
spec information, but it certainly sounds great, and should be terrific for
transfer prints.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net