Re: ALT-PHOTO-PROCESS digest 742

B. Schlueter (betty@netwrx.net)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:43:24 -0700

Matt wrote:

>I have been looking for a product that you could use to make prints on
>unusual items: walls, and very large pieces of paper. I saw something in an
>old Shutterbug, an ad for SBI mail order. Liquid Light was the product name.
>Does anybody know anything about this? Does it work well? Is it easy to use?
>How much is neede for a certain size area? Please help.
>Matt Deming

Matt,
Liquid emulsion is so much fun and it is easy to use. I know that someone
else posted saying that they had used it a few years ago and that the main
problem was getting an even consistency. The product has been improved (I
was told) and that doesn't seem to be a problem any longer. I used it on
glass, tin, canvas and plywood. All results were good. A few things to
remember. Never shake the bottle. (unless you want bubbles in your
emulsion) Use a good brush and brush the coats on smoothly and evenly. Use
a good laquer as your base surface when printing on glass and metal. Some
of my glass prints from just six months ago have a strange yellow tint that
I suspect is from the cheap laquer that we used.
They are two brands of liquid emulsion that I have used. Luminos and
Rockland. They were only slightly different.
I'm not sure how you are going to print on walls, but if you are looking to
print on very large pieces of paper, you should look into buying a roll of
mural paper. It can be purchased through Freestyle and it comes on a roll
52 inches wide. I don't recall the total length, but there is definitely a
lot of paper. I believe it's an Ilford paper that comes labeled as Arista.
Have fun.
Betty

The Martyr Poets - did not tell -
But wrought their Pang in syllable -
That when their mortal name can be numb -
Their mortal fate - encourage Some -

The Martyr Painters - never spoke -
Bequeathing - rather - to their Work -
That when their conscious fingers cease -
Some seek in Art - the Art of Peace -

Emily Dickinson c.1862

http://www.nyiq.net/~homeworld/betty/