Re: Emulsion Book

Stanley Greenberg (grnbrg@pipeline.com)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:17:36 -0500

At 01:36 PM 11/24/96 +1100, you wrote:
>Thanks for the interest shown in the 'Silver Gelatin' book. I'm relieved that
>the only complaints so far relate to typography! 'Multiple Recipients' are not
>the only critics, one of the first was my father. The decision to go for a
>lightweight typeface was because we were trying to tread a fairly fine line
>between aesthetic and practical concerns, a 'coffee table' book in terms of
>images coupled with practical usage information. The extra small typeface on
>picture captions was intended to reduce their distraction with portfolio
images,
>but following this through with the same size on technical picture captions was
>not a good idea. Also, on printing, it all got still lighter. Anyway, if it
>makes it to a second edition it will certainly have a heavier face. Magnifying
>glass users apart, thanks for your support of the tome.
>
>Martin Reed
>
>Martin - I just purchased the book yesterday, despite the criticisms, since
the information appears to be very useful. I can understand the temptation
for tiny (is it 2pt?) type on the captions, but the end result is that it is
more distracting because it takes so much effort to read. I would also like
to point out that most book designers agree that serif type is much easier
to read in small sizes.
Good luck on the next edition.

Stanley Greenberg