Re: light table

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 00:41:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Sandy King wrote:
> If you are using tubes spaced 1 1/2" apart less than 5" from the printing
> frame you are getting uneven result! These results may be visually
> insignificant, but
> they exist and would be measurable with approprite testing.

Sandy, how do you know this? A priori? What is "appropriate testing"?

> . . . The impact on my patience
> quota between an expousre of 20 seconds and one of 5 minutes is very
> *great*.

No doubt. You posit an exposure 15 times longer. The difference when I
went from 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches was about twice as long -- or from one
minute to two minutes.

> The difference between an exposure of 2 minutes for carbon (with
> 1/8" spacing, bulbs 2" from printing frame), and 10-12 minutes (spacing 3/4
> - 1 1/2", with bulbs 5-6" from printing frame) is really significant to my
> working conditions.

As noted, my paper stage is at 3 inches -- raised not for evenness but
to slow the process down. Gum exposures are 1 to 3 minutes.

> Judy, what can I say? If you want to work with long exposures you have the
> perfect working equipment to make it happen.

This is a non-sequitur. My exposures are as short as I can deal with and
perfectly even according to any measure I can make. But you mention
"patience" -- since I generally have several prints working at once, I
find that they finish exposing faster than I can deal with them.

Judy