Re: light table (fwd)

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Fri, 29 Nov 96 21:00 GMT0

> A question to all people on the list who use a light fixture contrived from
> flourescent light fixtures bought at a hardware or such store, and UV bulbs:
>

> How many people do what Judy used to do - with the light pointing up, and
> putting the contact print face down on top of it - versus creating a frame
> for the lights to point down, and sliding a contact frame under it?
>
> I hadn't envisioned my unit (yet to be made) as the first example, but it
> makes sense : gravity and weights on the backside of a print.
>
> looking forward to responses
> cheers
> Risa

Risa

Most of the UV lights I have used in various colleges have been in the form of
a box with a thick glass plate on top to place your neg and paper on. The only
problem that I see with this is that you have to be careful to avoid exposing
your eyes to UV.

When I made my own in the loft at home I worked the other way up, suspending
the light unit below a sort of table and putting the printing frame I used on
the floor (raising smaller prints on boxes for faster exposure.) This was a
useful space saving exercise - the table doubled as the main work surface and
also was a vacuum screen printing table to my rather crude but working design.
The light was of course boxed in sufficiently so I could continue to work,
though I needed to keep my socks on to avoid burnt feet.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows, Dragonfire and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures & Gay Pride: http://www.dragonfire.net/~gallery/
and: http://www.speltlib.demon.co.uk/