Re: UV & Health

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:12:07 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> The so-called "skylight" filter is nothing more than a UV filter. I suppose
> one could be used as a monocule.

Or you could get two and hang them on your eyeglass frames. And by the way
Bob, my toaster blew up -- flashed great flashes until I pulled the plug!
My electronic-engineer son examined it, found the break, insisted he
didn't see any electricity left, and after scattering circuit boards,
tools and parts all over the dining table announced it couldn't be fixed.
I was right that you can't trust toasters.

But I think we're going off the deep end here with fear of UV. Bear in
mind that the "blue light" Bill Laven saw floating around the room only
looked spooky because the other wavelengths that make light look white
were absent. And as (Terry?) pointed out, far far less than you get
outdoors even on a cloudy day walking to your parked car.

Here's another example: at ICP they made an elaborate drawer and fan
system to house their AQA bulbs from Voltarc. Rightly or wrongly I finally
surmised that it was the fact that this light was a really dangerous-
looking red that set them off. Checking with the company, I found
that the actual peak wavelength was (if memory serves) around 450 nm,
presumably 100 nm less formidable than the plain old UV bulbs we're used
to, which peak around 360nm, but (to me at least) look quite innocuous
(much safer than toasters).

Also, Larry (I think it was) says he can put a curtain over the open end
of the bulbs-down fixture. The bulbs-up fixture has side supports for the
glass and you can hang a cover cloth there as well.

Reviewing my own experience and comments of the past few days, I'd say
that if you don't mind the slight extra amount of construction and *use a
contact frame*, bulbs down is better. If you want to do a lot of testing
& not bother with in and out of the contact frame, just dropping stuff on
the glass, bulbs up is easier. I would not however use a contact frame on
top of the glass with a bulbs-up system, as it would cut down the light
more than necessary. Find a way to rest it on the side supports...

As for cataracts -- computer monitor anyone?

Judy