Re: ferric ammonium citrate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:03:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996 S_IZZO@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu wrote:

> Tom Ferguson suggests that Judy's problem with the ferric ammonium
> citrate may be the age of the chemical which may go bad even in the
> dry state. My experience suggests that this is unlikely to be the case.

Thanks Suzanne for that observation, exactly as mine. In this case of
course "lot#1" which had been on shelf an indeterminate period, was fine
and "lot#3" which had just been delivered, was dubious, while "lot #2"
which was utterly no good had definitely been more recently purchased than
lot #1. Of course we don't know how long any of it sat in Amend's
warehouse before shipping . Also it occurs to me that the chemical on your
father's shelf for 50 years (!!!) was probably in glass and these
chemicals are in plastic, but before making any surmises from that I
observe that the one I had last year that precipitated out when the k
ferricyanide was added was also in glass.

> Mallinckrodt jar labeled "quarter pound, Iron & Ammonium Citrate,
> U.S.P. XI Green Pearls, (Soluble Ferric Citrate)". At the bottom, the
> label has this: "CAUTION: To be used only by or on the prescription of a

The Mallinckrodt jars are sure pretty anyway..

Cheers,

Judy