Re: Carbon xfer to plexiglass

Dennis Carlyle (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:17:20 -0500

----------
Sandy King writes:

> The problem is that you have a very rigid surface (plexiglass) in contact
> with a thinly sized watercolor paper with an uneven surface. There simply
> is no way for all of the paper surface to contact the gelatin relief on
the
> plexiglass. That is why parts of the image remain stuck to the plexi. To
> make this work you have two choices, depending on how you plan to work in
> tri-color.
>
> 1) transfer the gelatin reliefs from the plexiglass (or other
polyviny
> surface) using the so-called single tranfer method in the order
yellow,
> magenta, cyan onto the watercolor pape, using a 2-3% gelatin
solution
> as a cementing agent between the plastic and watercolor. The
cementing
> solution needs to be applied at each transfer.

The transfer paper that I used had a rather heavy coating (8% gelatin). How
does the
method that you suggest in 1) above differ from what I did? Is the gelatin
"cement" still
tacky when I join the two surfaces?

> 2) transfer the gelatin reliefs in the order cyan, magenta, and
yellow
> onto a sheet of soluble transfer paper (a sheet of paper that has
> farily thick layer of soluble gelatin coating), then transfer
this
> image onto a final support.

I was trying to transfer to a soluble transfer paper, thats why I used such
a heavy layer
of gelatin. Would I be better off using a very smooth paper like a fixed
out bromide
paper with an extra coat of non-hardened gelatin on top, and then after all
three coats
do a final transfer to a nicer surface.

Thanks ever so much for your advice. I have found it completely reliable in
the past.
May your holidays be the best ever,

Cheers,

Al