Re: My 2nd Pigment Print

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:09:00 -0400

Al wrote:

>Klaus and Sandy,
>
>Which method do you recommend, going from plexiglass to a final support as
>mentioned above, or transfering all three layers to a soluble support, and
>then
>transferring the combined layers to a final support?

The double transfer method is more versatile, but the actual final tranfer
from the soluble support to the final is very tricky. In most cases you
could not tell by looking at a print which procedure was used to make
it,except that in single transfer there can be some over-lapping of the
reliefs on the final support due to slight registration differences. This
is not, however, altogether unattractive, and it shows that the image is a
hand assembled one. The bottom line is that it takes a lot of practice to
make either procedure work consistently.

By the way, I don't use plexiglass but a kind of flexible polyvinyl called
Kal-Glas. It is used by some automobile trim shops to replace the windows
on convertible tops.