Re: Ink jet and alt. photography

rosebud (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 08:13:34 -0500

----------

Klaus Polmeier writes:

> Robert Hudyma mentioned some ink jet prints he saw in London and N.Y. I
also saw
> "nice" big monochrome ink jet prints last September at an opening at a N.
Y.
> gallery. I think it was printed almost full size onto a high quality
70x100 cm
> water color paper. High resolution, sharp. Exclusive place. Expensive
frames.
> Like platinum prints on the first glance. The images? Oh sorry, I forgot:
> snapshots of famous N. Y. artists. The photographer was there and very
proud of
> this "brandnew" highclass and whatsoever perfect printing technique. I
asked him
> what process this was. He couldn't explain it, except that he knew his
negatives
> had to be scanned.
>
> I left the exhibit rather disappointed. This no longer was photography
but just
> a computer printout on expensive paper. No more aura, no more sincerity.
To me
> it was obvious that here somebody just had chosen a technique to make his
> mediocre photography sell better.

There are a number of ink jet printers on the market now that make fairly
high resolution
images. There is even one that will make 15' by 18' billboard size prints.
The closest
i've seen to what you describe is a modified Iris printer that is used by
Graham Nash.
I've seen some very nice large monochrome prints on water color paper. I
don't have
the specifications in front of me but I believe the resolution is 2400 dpi,
which is
nowhere as good as conventional printing. This printer is used by some
highly respected
artists and Nash works with them to accurately present their
interpretation of the original
photo.

Many fine art photographers are switching to digital and getting good
results. Its the artist
and not the technique thats important.

Best of health and good wishes to you and your family in the new Year

Al Strauss