Re: powder box - artigue printing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 22:20:49 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Peter Charles Fredrick wrote:

> Art you are leading this lads astray there is no prove that the Artigue /
> Fresson processes contains any gum ,we had this conversation at Bath this
> last year, and I seem to remember a wager, and also I am still awaiting the
> results of your research,
> We have a saying in the Uk an empty drum makes most noise :-) ?
>
> gotcher
>
> pete

Peter,

No intention of misleading anyone . . . there is little data to support or
refute conjecture on Artique or Fresson printing. Your conjecture is
slightly different than my conjecture but we are both guessing.

Our wager is not forgotten, it stands as a commitment to our differing
beliefs. As a reminder, I think that the Fresson paper samples will
contain both gum and gelatin while you believed that gum will not be
present. Unfortunately, the testing has proceeded at a snails pace. In
that the work is being donated it is tough to get impatient. Though I
would love to have all of the results I guess waiting a few months longer
isn't a great deal of time relative to the 100 years that the process has
been kept as a trade secret.

Lastly, I hope that the analysis of the paper samples does provide some
real insight into the nature of the processes. The loss or gain of a
print (our wager) was intended to be a friendly gesture which I assumed we
both took in the same vein. The significance isn't in winning a bet, it
will be the added knowledge.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA