Re: Artigue and Fresson Printing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:48:31 -0500 (EST)

Hal,

In the context of what you are talking about, I agree with you.
Photography is about images.

My understanding is that this forum is about alternative photographic
processes, alternatives to standard silver printing is my personal
interpretation. I certainly don't think that discussion should be limited to
technical aspects but the e-mail medium isn't about images and even if we
begin to attach images to these notes the electronic interpretation
typically loses a lot of the information the original image contained.

This thread started out in response to a question about a dusting box for
use in following the commonly believed method that Artigue used to make
his printing material. It seems to have evolved into a debate about the
ongoing investigation into the nature of the Artigue and Fresson printing
processes as well as conjecture about the merit and/or futility of such
investigation. In brief, there are camps that want the process to be
maintained as a trade secret and my efforts are counter current to that
thinking.

Back to photography and images. If you get an opportunity to view an
original Fresson print, I think you will quickly understand the reason for
the technical investigation, discussion and debate. To your point, words
are inadequate to convey the image's content.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA