Re: Coffee & Tea toning Questions

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 21:41 +0000

> Pepper, sugar, coffee, tea and cacao o.a. were used (after the
> invention of
> the wet plate in 1851) for leaving the sensitised wet plate negative
> more or
> less sensitive after preparation. The general idea was to keep the
> collodium-emulsion moist and open for developing, fixing and washing
> after
> exposing ("dry collodium" plates).

I think that honey, jam and beer were more successful technically but all
had the undesirable side-effect that photographers were chased by swarms
of bees and wasps. No fun in your dark-tent, though perhaps the alcohol
and ether used in the collodion would put them out of business.

Tea should be made and drunk normally, after which the dregs in the pot
can be used for staining (not toning) prints. I'm told the tea leaves can
also be tipped around your rose bushes to advantage.

Coffee is normally applied to photographic prints using the base of the
coffee cup (another process in which Terry King is an expert!)

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/