Re: Artigue and Fresson Printing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:58:57 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Sandy King wrote:

> Art,
>
> I am by nature curious. Threfore, when your tests are complete I will be
> interested in the results. However, I have to agree with Luis and Dave in
> that the information you get from this test will be of little use in
> manufacturing a direct carbon paper. It may be of interest to know which

Sandy,

The testing cannot provide the information needed to copy the Fresson
process. I just think that whatever the analysis reveals will be a little
bit more information than was public before the testing.

Just as there are hits about the process in Nadeau's books, there will be
added information from the analyses.

> . . .
>
> I think Dave got it right when he wrote:
>
> >I guess I am still trying to understand why some people are trying so hard to
> >imitate a process instead of just making say color gum print? I understand
> >that there is a special look to Fresson, but doesn't most pigment printed on
> >fine-art paper has some unique, artistic, visually pleasing characteristic?

I would guess that he has never seen an original Fresson print!

> The fact of the matter is that there are quite a number of folks out there
> doing some excellent three and four color work in direct gum and other
> . . .
> terms of color balance, tonal rang and sharpness. Color Fressons do have a
> unique look, sort of semi-pointillistic, that apparenlty results from the

I personally think the process looks better in a well made monochrome . .
. they also have a unique look.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA