Re: Pyro processing (I know I'm gonna get flamed)

dmilton@csus.edu
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:59:30 -0700

<x-html><HTML>
I am gonna get flamed for this one.&nbsp; The shelf life for Pyro (mixed)
is very long, more then two years, possibly better than 10.&nbsp; I have
heard of Pyro being left on a kitchen window sill for years in a clear
bottle with no ill effects (left the flames begin).

<P>I am not a chemist, but my best friend is, so there :)&nbsp; Unmixed
Pyro should have lasted two years.&nbsp; I think the crystal is normal
if it is around the screw-top part of the bottle.&nbsp; Be sure and wait
for the part A and B to change color (colour?) before processing.&nbsp;
If there is no color change, then there is no Pyro.

<P>OK chemists, you can flame me now.&nbsp; :)&nbsp; Be nice, I am an alt
virgin.

<P>David Milton

<P>Mel Proudfoot wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;Joe,

<P>I have used PYRO PMK for a couple of years, for roll and miniature films.
The Book of Pyro is good value, as it gives lots of information on how
to trouble-shoot - most of the problems I have not had - following the
instructions in the book.

<P>Some films stain much better than others, most of the stuff I have done
is with FP4 and Tri-x, both of which work well. PMK works well with most
of the materials I have tried, but to get the max benefit I would recommend
that films that give more stain.

<P>Sorry cannot comment on TMAX as I don't use it, but will run through
the technique I use.

<P>I use plastic rollfilm tanks to process in.
<BR>Make up as directed in the book, 10ml part a 20ml part b in 500ml water,
I use deionised as the local water is hard.
<BR>I have found that I get much better results when I reduce film speed
by at least one full stop - so Tri-x at EI200, FP4 50.

<P>Process times I use tend to be around 10-15% less than the book suggests,
this is normal as all the times are for sheet film.

<P>Agitate = 2 vigorous inversions of the tank every 15 seconds - this
is the point that Gordon makes in the book, its important to get enough
agitation to avoid various uneven developing effects.

<P>Following development, stop fix as normal.

<P>Following fixing add the used developer back into the tank for a couple
of mins.

<P>&lt;the negatives do look quite odd, the stain makes then look very
dense, with a amber/yellowish hue>.

<P>The main points I noticed was that detail in both shadows and highlights
were orders of magnitude were better than before, no highlight blocking,
just lots of detail everywhere, also a very good tonal range.

<P>In short this is one hell of a developer! So my advice would be to keep
working with it.

<P>Of the films I tried FP4 gives the best stain, Tri-x next best and the
rest much less e.g. AGFA 100.

<P>Then wash as normal - except, the book states that the stain can be
reduced by hard water - so maybe wash in deionised. Must say I have not
done this, and get pretty good stain, with the above emulsions.

<P>I have not had many, if any, problems using pyro with rollfilm and miniature
film. Pyro negatives are among the best I have made, much easier to print
with very nice detail and range.

<P>All in all I am very happy with PMK.

<P>I have recently had a problem in that my supply of <B>PMK seems to have
stopped working</B>. Was trying my first 10x8 sheet of FP4 and almost got
no image - noticed that I was not getting the right colour when I mixed
the developer a+b+water.

<P>Tried a test rollfilm and had the same story.&nbsp; So I have not used
it for sheet film, well not successfully yet.

<P>I do not make PMK but buy it from a UK supplier, its always worked fine
before so I guess that it must be past its use by date.

<P>Anybody got any comments on the shelf life of PMK stock solutions, both
solutions have been kept in dark bottles unopened, but probably for about
2 years.

<P>Both solutions are clean, no sediment, but solution b has crystallised
out a bit.

<P>When I tried the test rollfilm I did get a slightly better colour, light
straw, but maybe not as intense as it used to be.

<P>Would appreciate any advice on the shelf life.