Re: Artigue and Fresson Printing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:33:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Peter Charles Fredrick wrote:

> Dear Art
>
> . . .
> I have a little present for you I have in my possession a photomichrogragh
> of a section of Echague Fresson paper which I'm am sending onto you by
> snail mail as a loan could you copy and return to me .This photo-mic
> confirms in part Sandys friends observations ,the difference is as
> follows--:
>
> >>According to the analysis, the Fresson paper in question consisted of the
> following, in this order:
> 1. a paper base, followed by
> 2. a thin coating of soft gelatin with a relatively thin black pigment
> dispersion, with a slight cool, ultramarine tone, followed by
> 3. a thicker layer of gelatin, harder than the first, with no pigment,
> followed by
> 4. a powdering of a very fine, dry pigment<<
>
> My paper shows--:
>
> 1. a paper base
> 2. my sample does not show this layer
> 3. Thick layer of colloid, constitution unknown but presumed to be gelatin
> 4. a thin layer of tightly packed very fine dry pigment and sitting right
> up on the top of the paper surface
>
> >From this evidence we can presume that the coating consists of least two layers
> a thick one sunk into the paper base and a thin one containing tightly
> packed pigment, riding piggyback on the thicker base base coating, which we
> could perhaps see as a rather thick sizing layer? Also the fact that the
> pigment layer is perched right up on the surface of the paper provides
> significant clues to the manner of coating which I am sure must be
> mechanical in nature.
>
> pete

Pete,

When the photomichrogragh arrives I will scan it into a file and share it
with whomever might want to look at it. I can send it as a JPEG image and
attach it to a note for those who request a copy. I will promptly return
the original to you.

It is good of you to share the information.

Thanks, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA