Re: finding supplies

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:45:05 -0400

At 8:39 AM +0000 98/01/18, Joseph O'Neil wrote:
>Hi everyone;
> Thankyou for the supply locations & stories so far. I've been
>following
>the differnt URL & links given to me, and I could really waste some serious
>time online with those sites. I'm still happy to listen to more stories
>from people.
>

> I live about an hour's drive from the US boarder, but even with
>supposed
>'free trade' between US-CDN, you wonder if those trade pacts were only
>drawn up for the big guys such as GM or MircroSoft, etc. I could fil a
>book with "horror stories", but one short example. UPS shipped a telescope
>from California to Detriot, Michigan for me for $30, but then charged me an
>additional $57 for the two hour drive to my house form Detriot, based on
>"brokerage fees" (although the telescope was completely duty free).

You've just been taken. Avoid UPS and FedX like plague when it comes to
ship anything across the Canada/US border. They realized long ago that they
could make a lot more money with artificial "brokerage fees" (on Duty Free
items!) than they do with regular shipping.

US Mail is the only way to go or else you need a friend or a postal box
across the border.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada