Re: Confused Beginner

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:43:37 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Hamish Stewart wrote:
> >me, since I'm sure that you have better things to do with your time, but I
> >was wondering if anyone could recommend any books, web sites, etc that I
> >could use. Thanks!
> >
> Someone else has already recommended William Crawford "The Keepers of
> Light", which provides an excellent overview of alternative processes,
> plus some history. Catherine Reeve & Marlyin Sward (sorry I can't
> remember the correct spelling) "The New Photography" is also an
> interesting book, which looks beyond some of the more "traditional"
> alternative processes. Finally I would also suggest you take a look at
> Arnold Gassan "Handbook for Contemporary Photography", which provides an
> outline on a whole range of alternative processes. I think these three
> books should provide some good grounding - then hunt around the web and
> look at the achive of this list to build your knowledge.
>
> Hope this helps
> Cheers Hamish
> >Erin Barnes
> >posc002f@frank.mtsu.edu

> *
> "We have no theology, we have no dogma, we just dance"
>
> Hamish Stewart

If I were forced to be limited to one reference book for all this stuff
and
more, it would be "Photography, Theory and Practice" by L.P. Clerc, second
edition. It is richer in alt stuff than later editions. A Photographers
Place in NYC on Mercer street seems to regularly acquire copies for sale.

John