Re: T-Max 400 revisited

David Milton (dmilton@csus.edu)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:37:20 -0700

I agree with you Bob, but I also see the point of others. I believe in teaching
students the patience and care needed to process film so the film, one day, may be
transofrmed into somthing they would be proud fo showing. However, some students
are not, and will not become photography students; they are simply there to get
credit in some section. Also, there are a few students that will become great, but
right now they are experiencing some difficulty in technique. To increase
interest, and decrease frustration, I would allow students to print from anything
provided that they will graduate to a finer film before the semester is over.

I had several great teachers. I was 40 before I processed my first roll and
printed my first print. Two months later some of my work was on walls around town
(thanks CamerArts). Even at 41, I become very frustrated, very quickly. My
teachers (Ralph Talbert and Miguel Blanco) and the local camera store (CamerArts)
have been my mentors and shrink. The result is that my work is improving and
requests for shows are increasing. Another result is that I have switched from
Delta 100 (I believe a cousin of TMAX) to FP.

I learned on the tough-stuff, but not everyone can endure the time and expense.
So, for school students, I believe instant success breeds additional success. But,
I also believe that learning one's craft can be filled with pain and well as love,
and learning directly from the masters is part of that process, even if it may mean
times of frustration.