Re: T-Max 400 revisited

Jadlupp (Jadlupp@aol.com)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:46:27 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 98-01-23 11:18:23 EST, Bob wrote:

> Anyone who can read a thermometer
>and a timer can process this film correctly. Kodak recommends a temperature
>of 24 degrees C. and I believe that the fim responds best at this
>temperature.

I agree with your entire letter, but want to take note of your above comment.
I cannot hold developing temperatures to anything other than room temperature
in my darkroom, or at least not consistantly. So I keep two gallons of water
at room temperature, and mix everything with those. I calibrated my T-max (X
and Y), plus-x and Tri-x using the various extreems that I get (my darkroom is
in the basement, so the walls act as heat sinks. The temperature ranges from
66 F to 72F throuout the year). By using Kodak's chart for development numbers
in their darkroom handbook, I found the proper Dn for each film (sheet, 120
and 35mm are all different, by the way). My curves for 66 and 72 degrees F
match withing a third of a stop. So I hve to take a little exception with
your comment on 24 C being what should be used.

Yes, T-Max is process sensitive, but with a five minute minimum presoak, and a
waterbath post-development, I get very consistent results. I also only use
D76 1:1 for all films, although I have used HC-110 and others, plus D76 in
various dilutions. I get rich blacks, detailed shadows, no blocking up of
hightlights.

Even so, I think the best quality negatives I have came from Plus-X.

Don