Re: T-Max 400 revisited

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 08:59 +0000

Actually I think the main problem with T-Max is that for some reason
people try to develop it with T-Max developers.

My opinion, having tried it with T-Max dev and also in Kodak's recommended
developer for it (D-76) I then found several by other manufacturers that
seemed to me to make it easier to use as well as producing superior
results in terms of both grain and sharpness.

For some time I used a Tetenal developer, but I'm not sure this particular
formula is still available. Then I found that Paterson FX-39 was even
better. I still use this with T-Max 100, but I've now decided that the
400ASA chromogenic films are so much better than T-Max 400 that these are
the only 400 ASA films I'm using.

I'm told - but haven't tried it myself - that Xtol is worth trying.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/