Re: chemicals and septic tanks

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 00:32:30 -0500

At 10:09 PM 1998/01/30 EST, you wrote:
>Sil:
> Can you give me a reference for the wash water theory? I checked Kodak's
>site and all they said in effect was don't dump chemistry into a septic tank.

I stand corrected: Kodak has turned 180 degrees from their previous position.

For more information, see KODAK Publication No. J-300, Environmental
Guidelines for Amateur Photographers. To order J-300,
call Kodak's Advertising Distribution at 1-800-233-1650.

Their change in attitude is undoubtedly to protect themselves from possible
lawsuits. About 30 yrs ago I lived in a place with a septic tank and
specifically requested if small amounts of photo chemicals would affect the
operation; even the septic tank people (who cleaned the thing regularly)
said there was no problem. It is still my opinion that small amounts of
photo chemicals will not affect the operation of a septic tank, and
thousands of darkroom devotees don't worry about the effect, but check out
the Kodak publication - it's free!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net