Re: Great Enl. Negs - Better

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 13:35:34 -0500

At 12:57 PM 1998/02/01 -0500, TERRY KING wrote:
>Message text written by Carl Weese
>>Explain PQ please? My brain cells may be deteriorating, but I don't know
>the reference.---Carl
><
>Carl
>
>PQ Universal is an Ilford developer designed for both film and paper. I
>believe that it is not available in the US. We included it in our platinum
>tests as it was there. To our surprise it produced better results than
>anything else out of a bottle. Good even development right across the step
>wedge. Multigrade developer produces a similar result. Of course we are
>talking about negs for printing out here

"PQ" is not a trademark. It refers to (P)henidone - (Q)uinol [otherwise
known as hydroquinone) developers, formulated to replace "MQ"
(Metol-Hydroquinone) formulations. The original idea was to replace Metol
as many people get dermatitis from metol (elon, and dozens of other
tradenames!). Characteristics depend on the specific formulation, and many
PQs work exactly like their counterpart MQs. "Phenidone" is a trademark of
Ilford.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net