Re: Great Enl. Negs - Better

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:28:15 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, TERRY KING wrote:

> I was over simpifying to make the point, but it remains that if the gunge
> were not there one would get better results with Pt/Pd printing. So why
> bother with pyro for a pupose for which it is not suited when there are
> superior alternatives ?

It seems very clear from the comments of many workers on this list, and
from my own personal experience, that a negative developed in a Pyro
based developer produces a print that has unique visual qualities,
whether it is printed in antique or contemporary processes. This fact
alone makes it valuable. The discussion of curves and staining is an
attempt to quantify the unique visual qualities of Pyro, not to validate
it. Have you ever worked with this developer?
You seem to have a very stubborn insistence for the amidol/FP4 combo,
claiming it is superior to all other combos. I would wager that you could
not duplicate the look of a platinum print made from a pyro negative with
one from Amidol/FP4. You can decide which you like better, but that is
not the issue here.

John>