Re: Great Enl. Negs - Better

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 18:08 +0000

PQ Universal appears to be available in the USA - at least in New York --
at around $20 a gallon from B&H, and I imagine from other major dealers.
(Smaller sizes also, though why people should want to pay more I don't
know - just buy the larger one and decant into smaller bottles.)

It is a cheap and clean-working developer for all types of paper and sheet
film. The normal paper dilution is 1+9, though you can vary this
considerably. I prefer it to their Multigrade developer (or to Dektol) for
paper, though I also use Agfa Neutol. As Terry may remember from when we
ran the tests I also prefer it to the Amidol formula as it is easier to
get repeatable results.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/