Re: Difficult altprocess

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 03:02:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> But as I am typing this, I do see your point clearer. You are saying that if
> you know how to coat Fresson paper, then the printing is easy, whereas even if
> you know how to coat carbon tissue, the printing is still difficult; so the
> net result is Fresson is still easier than carbon if you know how to coat. Is
> that what you meant?

Yes . . . but now I am going to go counter point on you . . . isn't
photography about images? Fresson for its own sake is meaningless . . .
as a tool to create an image otherwise not attainable is its real value.
Alternative processes are about visual tools otherwise not possible with
silver. A bad photograph (eye of the beholder) makes a bad Bromoil or
Fresson. One of Luis' valid complaints in note exchanges is that people
have tried to use Fresson printing to add value to work that otherwise
would/should be ignored. The picture of my dog (smartest dog in the state
of Ohio and probably smarter than I) ranks high on my list but it isn't
going to make it to the walls of a museum any time soon. Even if I
printed it as a Fresson or DP3, it still doesn't deserve any artistic
accolades.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA