Re: Difficult Photo Processes

Dan Estabrook (desta@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 08 Feb 1998 11:40:59 -0500

Ok, now I'm confused. What exactly is being argued here? And to whom?
That Carbon printing is hard, and so is Bromoil, and Gumoil, and Gelatin
Silver...? That a beginner can't make a beautiful print? Would anyone on
this list really argue that it _doesn't_ take time and practice to
"master" a process? Isn't that a tautology?

pmurf@concentric.net wrote:

> What is there to gain by making a thing seem
> difficult ?
> I also wish to echo the sentiments of those
> who believe that the real value of an alternative
> process lies in what the process contributes
> syntactically to the original SEEING of the
> photographer.

Thank you, Philip.

I've noticed even in my limited (ten year) career that alt-photgraphers
are just as competitive as other artists (i.e., very), and that it's
always the ones insecure with the power of their art and images who
guard their procedural secrets carefully and make it all seem so arcane
and difficult. Then, thankfully, there are others (I'd guess almost
everyone on this list) who, secure in their own personal artistry and
expertise, are willing and eager to share their knowledge for the Good
of the Art...

tirade over,

Dan Estabrook