carbon in hot weather Was: Easy alt processes and how to

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 08 Feb 1998 20:36:00 -0400

At 6:11 PM -0500 98/02/08, TERRY KING wrote:
>Message text written by Luis Nadeau
>>
>This only solves the step where the exposed tissue is transferred to the
>final paper in a cold water bath.
>
>How do you dry your freshly sensitized tissue in a hot environment without
>running into all kinds of problems? Or, worse, how do you dry your freshly
>coated tissue (with sensitizer) in the same environment?
>
>Luis
>
>No, it works for both.
>
>You sensitise the paper in a cold sensitiser and when it is still cold you
>squeegee it onto the perspex and then either remove it and hang it up to
>dry or leave it on the perspex in a current of 'cold' air from a fan
>heater

In a hot (90F) environment, you use a fan **heater** to dry your sensitized
tissue? Elvis must be alive!

I would strongly suggest that the "heater" part of the fan be turned off
while the fan is doing its work, if the room temperature is above 20C.

; both in the dark of course. When it is dry and after exposure,
>bring it together with the receiving tissue under cold water. before
>proceeding in the usual way.

This is still no description of a miracle process that can make carbons in
90 degrees F heat.

In hostile environments (hot & humid), such as we have on the East coast
during the summer, the trick is to work early in the morning using a spirit
sensitizer (acetone, etc.) as described in my books and elsewhere.

The afternoon is often too hot & humid to do any carbon printing, so take
your cameras and get out...

For single transfer monochrome work I always preferred drying the tissue
off the plastic. For one thing, it dries quickly as both surfaces are
exposed. This minimizes fog, etc.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada