Re: nonbuffered matboard question

Herold Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:45:12 -0800

Suzanne,

What might make a good compromise is to use the "micro chamber" interleaving
paper with the non-buffered mat board. A little tissue can go a long way.
Of course you don't have the extra protectioin when an image is on display,
but most images spend more time in storage than on the wall anyway, so this
should help considerably.

Even if you decide against the expense of mollecular traps, I highly
recommend Conservation Resources catalogue for information.

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: S_IZZO@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu <S_IZZO@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu>
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
<alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Date: Saturday, February 14, 1998 9:26 AM
Subject: nonbuffered matboard question

Thanks to everyone who wrote answering my questions about buffered
vs nonbuffered matboard. I have one remaining doubt. Bob Schramm's
comment was to use "a good grade acid free matboard for everything",
while Francis Schanberger said to use "non-buffered board for everything
except silver gelatin". My remaining question is about using
nonbuffered board for silver gelatin (presumably included in Schramm's
"everything"). The molecular trap products recommended by a couple
people would no doubt provide the very best protection, but I don't
think I can justify the extra expense at this time. Thanks again for
everyone's help.

Suzanne Izzo s_izzo@guvax.georgetown.edu