Re: Sturges under attack again!

Bill Agee (billagee@redsilver.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:07:20 -0800

At 7:56 PM -0800 2/22/98, Richard Sullivan wrote:
>>Dick:
>>We "could debate" is an interesting phrase. I guess for Mr. Wood this is
>>question is opened and closed. I am not so sure. Perhaps a little debate
>>would be healthy instead of the usual knee jerk reactions from left AND
>>right. I am on another list where it is politically incorrect to have an
>>opinion which expresses even a doubt about the implications and uses of
>>photographing nude children. I think debate rather than assumption is
>>needed here.
>>
>>Karl Koenig
>
>The argument over nude children in art seems to have been settled during the
>Renaissance. Many of the churches are filled with them and funded by Papal
>commissions as well. And yes, with real little boy genitalia as well.
>
>Knee jerk? Come on Karl. These folks are going for blood and if you think
>they'll stop at Sturges and Barnes and Noble you are wrong. If Sturges was not
>under direct attack, I would say that we can afford a nice debate. Sturges is
>represented by major galleries throughout the country and has had major museum
>shows. I think the overwhelming curatorial opinion is that he is not a
>poronographer.
>
>He didn't just arrive on the scene yesterday, he has been debated
>thoroughly in
>the art community. A jury deliberated for less than 15 minutes and found him
>not guilty on the first go round. How much more do we need? Knee jerk? No
>way.
>
>Do I like his work personally? Not much to not at all.
>
>Do I defend his right to present it? All the way!
>
>Sorry to start this off topic argument but I think this is important.
>
>--Dick Sullivan

Dick,

I have very much enjoyed your thoughtful posts on the alt photo list,
however, I must rise to defend Karl's right to ask a question. I think the
force and passion of your response indicates that you have clearly made up
your mind on the issue and debate or discussion is not something your are
willing to entertain. I think it is unfortunate to attempt to shut off any
debate--in this case with a listing of "facts" about the situation during
the Renaissance and the reference to the jury aquitted him in 15 minutes.
I was happy to see him get off that time and contributed money through ASMP
for his defense, however, my ears perk up when I observe what appears to be
an attempt to shut off legitimate debate on any topic.

All the best,

Bill Agee

BILL AGEE
Laguna Beach, CA