Double Coating of Platine

Stephen R Harrison (SRH@StephenHarrison.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 00:43:49 -0700

Bill Laven writes:

>I regularly double coat Platine paper. Diluting the second coat with
>distilled water is helpful because the second coating is absorbed much more
>quickly than the first; a little more solution helps considerably. Start by
>adding 1/4 the quantity of sensitizer. Between coats I let it air dry from
>5-15 minutes; it changes with the humidity, batch of paper, phase of the
>moon, phase of my mood, etc etc, just like every other step in the process.
>I then use a hair dryer on it, but dry only the sensitizer side -- dry the
>front AND back of the paper after the second coat. Its important that your
>drying procedure be consistent and repeatable.

As an example, if we are doing an 8x10 inch neg and use in the first coat
24 drops of #1 soln and 24 drops of pt+pd , then the second coat would be 6
drops of #1 and 6 drops of pt+pd added to 36 drops of distilled water ??
Are you applying the first or second coats with an puddle pusher or a
brush. I ask because when I tried to apply the second coat, it was absorbed
so fast, I never made to all the way across and there was a very uneven
application. Are you using Tween in either coat?

Stephen Harrison