Re: inkjet printers for digital negs

Brandon Bollom (bwb0035@acs.tamu.edu)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:57:02 -0600

Jason P. Mitchell wrote:

> Many thanks for the helpful responses to my question of a couple weeks ago
> about digital negs for van dyke, cyanotype, and gum. I appreciate all of
> them.
>
> I do have a new question that I hope will interest some of you.
>
> We've all seen that some of the new and fairly inexpensive inkjet printers
> will produce near-photographic-quality prints. Not perfect, of course, but
> quite good.
>
> So I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried printing image files onto
> transparencies and using these as negatives for alt processes? I suspect
> that they might work fine for images in which fine detail is not important,
> but I don't have one of these printers (I use a laser), so I really can't
> be sure.
>
> Has anyone tried using inkjet transparencies as negatives? I'd appreciate
> any comments or suggestions.
>
> ****************************
> Jason P. Mitchell
> Department of English
> The University of Mississippi
> University, MS 38677
>
> jmitchel@olemiss.edu
> http://www.olemiss.edu/~jmitchel
>
> ****************************

That is my official goal for this weekend. I recently purchased an Epson
Stylus Photo printer and have created a couple of digital negatives on
transparencies which look pretty decent in that state. I am planning to make
cyanotype prints if my work schedule, photo shoot schedule and sunlight will
all cooperate. I will keep everyone informed of my results, but if anyone else
has already tried this, please let me know what you have discovered.

Brandon W. Bollom
Assistant Photo Editor
The Battalion
Texas A&M University