Re: Plus x aerographic film for ziatype/cyanotype

Joseph O'Neil (joneil@multiboard.com)
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 07:21:47 -0600

At 21:39 02/03/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I just got some Plus x aerographic film which I plan to use in my cirkut
>cameras.
> I would like to do some cyanotypes and ziatypes from the negs, and wonder
>if anyone has any recommendations on how to process the film. I can't find
>any specs on the kodak web page. Most people who use it are using roller
>tranport machines. I plan on tray developing the negs. The local heating
>dealer has made me some long narrow stainless trays. Any ideas? Jamie

This film is almost the same as standard Plus X, except is is red
sensitive, similar to tech pan, but not an IR film. For developing times &
temps, start with standard Plus X times. If you have never developed in a
tray before, you may wish to run some test shots first. I have found the
biggest "mistake" people make the first time out with a tray developing is
not enough agitation, which can result in an underdeveloped film.

You may also wish to do some test shots just to see how red sensitive it
is. I am sure it is not an IR film, but I do not know how far into the red
it goes. Tech Pan drops off at 690nm, most B&W films drop off at say
630-650nm, Ilford's SFX drops off at 740 to 750, and Kodak's HIE infra red
drops off at 900nm. I would say this film is somewhere between tech pan
and a "traffic" film such as SFX or APX S. In practical terms, this will
affect skin tones, filterted or undifltered, lightening them up. Try it
out and see.
joe

http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
B&W, Large Format Images From Southern Ontario