Re: Protection for Alt Process print storage?

dkern@juno.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:12:53 -0600

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:25:40 -0800 fontpro@usa.net writes:
>Hello,
>
>I've build some portfolio boxes with 1/8 plywood glued to pine frames
>
>with regular yellow wood glue. The plywood says it uses a
>formaldehyde. I
>want to store Gum prints, Cyanotype and regular B&W prints in these
>boxes. Any suggestions on what I should line the inner plywood surface
>
>with? A paper?
>
>My guess is since formaldehyde is used in some of these processes it
>should not effect the prints. But I want them to be safe.
>

>Thanks
>
>Bob

Bob,

It's my understanding that plywood is far from archival. It continues to
emit gasses from the materials used to glue the layers of wood together.
I believe this is also the case for hardboard/pressed board. One product
that is useful in blocking these gasses (and is popular with
conservators) is MicroChamber boards and papers. They are available from:

Conservation Resources
8000-H Forbes Place
Springfield, VA 22151
(800) 634-6932
Fax (703) 321-0629

Sincerely,
David Kern

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]