Re[2]: dye sublimation prints

tcekolin@rd.qms.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:09:17 -0600

Yeah, but I thought it was the image pigments, metals or whatever the
image is created in, not the paper, that fades or not?

Tony

Subject: Re: dye sublimation prints
Author: <petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk> at Internet-Mail
Date: 3/19/98 8:00 PM

> Any output by
> a comuter is a million miles away from being archival, even with UV
> coatings.
> The UV coatings (I don't care what the manufacturer says) turn yellow
> almost
> from day one.

Not true - as the best prints coming from computers at the moment emerge
on to the very same paper that are used for other photographic prints and
thus have exactly the same life scale.

Visually they are also impossible to tell from those produced manually,
although a skilled printer might look at some and wonder how some things
were possible.

You can have all the advantages of manipulating your work in Photoshop to
do things that would be difficult or impossible (or very expensive) in the
darkroom and then get a true photo print.

Being able to produce a quick proof on the Epson that is also suitable for
many purposes is a bonus.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/