Re: dye sublimation prints

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 00:59:06 -0400

At 6:34 PM -0700 98/03/19, Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:
>---------------------- Forwarded by Bob Maxey/MTN/US/3Com on 03/19/98 06:33
>PM ---------------------------

>Here again, the discussion was not about printers that use conventional
>photographic paper, Ink Jet and other output was what was mentioned. Please
>comment on what was actually said. These techniques are not new; I have
>seen these types of prints for some time now.
>
>They can also produce absolutely neutral b/w prints
>on colour paper by the way. The Fuji material has the longest display life
>of any normal colour photo display material, though certainly not quite in
>the carbon print league.
>
>I have a number of Carbon images made in 1937 through 1940 that are less
>than ideal and certainly not what I expect to see when looking at an image
>of this type. Carbon DOES NOT imply permanence. Carbon images will indeed

Processes are not permanent. Some processes are potentially permanent.

>fade if made without care. And what do you mean by normal color display
>material? Prints like Dye Imbibsion have lasted since the day they were
>made.

Many have but many have not. Dye prints are not the most light-fast color
prints. They are very stable in the dark though.

Later on, Dye Transfer was developed and popularized by Eastman. Here
>again, the potential for longevity is proven. Like my father's Kodachrome
>slides, they are as perfect now as the day they were made. These images
>have a proven track record, Fuji Can't say this as of yet. Please refrain
>from making statements that are not proven.

Sorry but you are wrong. Some Fuji materials are very permanent.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/