Re: other ether "dangers"

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 01:28:55 -0800

At 12:40 AM 3/26/98 -0700, Ken Sinclair wrote:

>I do believe I remember something about the fact that ether was a now
>deemed a carcinogen.
>One of the other dangers (so I heard while in a university lab those many
>years ago) is attributed to the fact that when the ether is allowed to dry
>to a residual powder around the metal screw cap, there is the possibility
>that even the simple action of unscrewing the cap can result in an
>explosion.
>
>Ken
>(who's my memory is not getting worse... it's just getting shorter).

See one of the MSDS on the Hazard com web page at http://hazard.com or
Http://siri.com or http://www.siri.com all point to the same web page.
It is not listed as a carcinogen. The danger is from the formation of
explosive peroxides when the material is exposed to the air. Opened cans
become dangerous after two to three days. It is advised to avoid letting
cans become nearly dry. See the MSDS for details.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com