Re: Galvanic Palladium Chloride Solution

Francesco Curcio (msepa.fcurcio@ntt.it)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:36:01 -0800

Edward Meyers wrote:
>Is that $500 or 500 lira, for 1 liter of 10-percent solution? Wouldn't
>$500 be a bit high? Ed

I think 500 US dollars for 100 g of PdCl2 (containing 60 g of metal) is
a good price for the stuff, based on the actual quotation of
Palladium plus the manufacturing cost of the salt. B&S charge about the same
for this weight.

Dick Sullivan wrote:
>That is most likely where the problem is. Nitric acid is a
>powerful oxidizer and is acting like the ammonium dichromate in the Ziatype
>print and is surely causing problems -- grain would be the result

Now I understand why my prints were requiring such a soft negative
even with palladium, though being still contrasty and never showing
the smooth highlights palladium should give. EDTA simply didn't
work as a clearing agent in this case.

I see the plating PdCl2 solution I bought is useless. I'll try to resell it.

Thanks for answering

Francesco Curcio
Milano Italy