Re: Carbon printing

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 19:12:18 -0600

Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Luis says:
>
> >I have yet to see *excellent* carbons from lith films. This is not to say
> >it's impossible but I have yet to see one. If you can't get excellent
> >results from lith film it may not be because of your carbon technique. It
> >could be the film.
>
> I would agree to the same concerning platinum until a few months ago when I
> saw Stuart Melvins work done with lith film developed in PMK Pyro. It seems
> the pyro works mostly off the stain and that mediates much of the contrast
> in the lith film. There are details on my site listed below. Go to the
> "tech papers" section.
>
> --Dick Sullivan

Ya know, I ain't saying that you can't make a beautiful platinum print
through use of lith film, no matter what it's developed in, but until i
see that same original negative and its plat prints produced by the lith
method, and a print produced by a positive made on contone graphic arts
film and negative made on ProCopy side by side, I won't blieve it. I
have gone through this mess trying to save money on film and for my
savings invariably lost separation in shadow and highlight. Try it if
you care.

John

--
ÿWPCÛ