Re: Carbon printing

Hamish Stewart & Sophie Colmont (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:18:50 +0200

>Subject: Re: Carbon printing

>> Luis says:
>>
>> >I have yet to see *excellent* carbons from lith films. This is not to say
>> >it's impossible but I have yet to see one. If you can't get excellent
>> >results from lith film it may not be because of your carbon technique. It
>> >could be the film.
>>
>> I would agree to the same concerning platinum until a few months ago when I
>> saw Stuart Melvins work done with lith film developed in PMK Pyro. It seems
>> the pyro works mostly off the stain and that mediates much of the contrast
>> in the lith film. There are details on my site listed below. Go to the
>> "tech papers" section.
>>
>> --Dick Sullivan
>
>Ya know, I ain't saying that you can't make a beautiful platinum print
>through use of lith film, no matter what it's developed in, but until i
>see that same original negative and its plat prints produced by the lith
>method, and a print produced by a positive made on contone graphic arts
>film and negative made on ProCopy side by side, I won't blieve it. I
>have gone through this mess trying to save money on film and for my
>savings invariably lost separation in shadow and highlight. Try it if
>you care.
>
>John

For what its worth my comment regarding using lith films for processes
such as carbon and platinum would be why? I don't mind using Lith film
for Gum prints, where it works well - I get good strong prints going this
route. I have a colleague in Sydney who makes beautiful plantium prints
and we analysed lith negs I've made (using dilutions in dektol of around
1:9). What we found is that there is very little mid tone in a lith neg.
This seems okay with gum printing but I wouldn't consider it with
something like platium. I would feel I'd be missing out on a whole range
of tones that the process would allow me.

Cheers
hamish