Re: Carbon Transfer

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:46:06 -0300

At 4:20 PM -0700 98/04/12, fontpro@usa.net wrote:
>Bill Clarks instruction are very clear and helpful. I never gave much
>thought to this process before. I wonder why it's called Carbon Tissue?

A misnomer. It should be called pigment paper, as explained in my book.

>My first impression was this process ussed some sort of carbon paper like
>we used with old typewriters (remember them).

It's a *lot* thicker than the old carbon paper.

>The process seems more like an Emulsion Transfer as with Polaroid film.

A lot more difficult though.

>Was ground carbon used at one time?

Yes. The name is from the French "procédé au charbon" as Poitevin, the
inventor, called it. I found the original patent, which I translated in my
Gum Dichromate book.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada