Re: APIS 98

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:56:25 -0600

Carlos and all.

The problem is the paradox that has been created. I am reminded of the
story of the Board of Directors of a train company trying to decide whether
to have the train stop in Centerville at 3:00 in the afternoon. To solve
this dilemma they sent someone down to the train station to see if anyone
was waiting for the train at 3:00 p.m. No one was there waiting for a
train, so they decided that having it stop was not necessary.

It is amazing that Terry could get over a 100 to sign up with virtually no
advertising. Now that we have had one big successful event (not to slight
the earlier events) that is great advertising in itself and we should
easily get 200 to attend the Oporto event. The problem is we keep going
down to see if anyone is waiting for the train.

People are waiting to see if APIS '98 is a go before arranging flight etc.
Melody and I are getting screwed because of this insane system of setting
up this event. We commit and are now told that it is essentially dead.
Other people are saying "Whew, glad I didn't do what they did."

The simple answer, and maybe it is not still too late, is to commit to the
event and it will go. If you can't commit now, then let's scrub it and make
other plans.