Re: Various aspects of "grain" (was: Epson coated paper negatives)

S. Carl King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:01:20 -0400

Luis wrote:

>This discussion makes me wish I were in a position to rush to the lab, roll
>up my sleeves and try the modern "digital" negatives. I just don't have the
>time now but in a few months...
>
>In the meantime, for the record: I have made tons of single transfer
>monochrome prints and I would say that 99% don't show any relief at all...
>I found that the relief depends a lot of the type of pigmented emulsion one
>uses, the sensitizer, etc. What worked well for me in monochrome produced
>no relief...

Luis,

It is curious that some carbon monochrome prints don't show any relief. I
have attempted to make duplicate prints using the same negative, tissue of
similar formulation, and senzitizer, placed on the same kind of final
support, with the result that some prints showed a lot of relief, others
little or none. I can not understand all the variables, however all other
things being equal a thick layer of lightly pigmented solution will give
more relief than a thin layer of heavily pigmented solution.

Sandy King