Re: Various aspects of "grain" (was: Epson coated paper negatives)

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:02:50 -0300

At 1:01 PM -0400 98/04/27, S. Carl King wrote:

>Luis,
>
>It is curious that some carbon monochrome prints don't show any relief. I
>have attempted to make duplicate prints using the same negative, tissue of
>similar formulation, and senzitizer, placed on the same kind of final
>support, with the result that some prints showed a lot of relief, others
>little or none. I can not understand all the variables, however all other
>things being equal a thick layer of lightly pigmented solution will give
>more relief than a thin layer of heavily pigmented solution.

The color of your pigment plays a role, blue giving more relief, magenta
giving less. A point source light will give more relief and so will
overexposure and a long developing time at a higher then normal
temperature, say 50C instead of 40C. The nature of the light source has a
certain effect and it seems that the alignment of planets...;-)

BTW, many books on the identification of prints say that you can recognized
carbons and woodburytypes with their relief but I also have plenty of
woodburytypes that have no relief either.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/