Re: Potassium Oxalate Hazards (fwd)

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Thu, 14 May 1998 15:27:01 -0400

At 11:37 PM 98/05/13 -0600, you wrote:

>Here is a bit from a chapter on health for my platinum book.
>
>There are several caustics involved in noble metal printing. One of
>the most common is potassium oxalate. Another common form of
>potassium oxalate when dissolved in water is oxalic acid, which has >an
OSHA PEL of 1 mg/m3 for airborne contaminants.

In your book, I would recommend you use the word "corrosive" instead of
"caustic" as it is a more technically correct term. "Caustic" is usually
reserved for high pH (alkaline) materials, whereas "corrosive" covers any
material that has a deleterious effect on other materials. We say, for
example, "caustic soda" which is sodium hydroxide, a very corrosive alkali,
etc. We wouldn't normally say "caustic" for sulfuric acid, which is highly
corrosive.

One other point: oxalic acid is not a "form" of potassium oxalate, oxalic
acid is the acid which, when combined with potassium becomes potassium
oxalate. When potassium oxalate is dissolved in water, the compound
dissociates into potassium ions and oxalate ions; as the potassium has
higher energy than the oxalate (a weak acid), the potassium hydrolyzes to
potassium hydroxide, making the solution highly alkaline, and very
corrosive. At normal temperatures, the process is infinitely reversible. In
solution, of course, there would be no airborne contamination, but
potassium oxalate, oxalic acid, and potassium hydroxide are all extremely
toxic when taken internally.

<<sil>>
<silh@iag.net>
<webmaster@psa-photo.org>