Re: Enlarged negatives

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 14 May 1998 21:07 +0000

> Lukas Werth wrote:
>
> > I intend to learn to print (first, at least) Platinum/Palladium
> > prints.
> > I take photographs with a 4x5" camera, and being unwilling as well as
> > lacking the ressources to buy a larger camera, I want, after first
> > contacting some of my 4x5s for learning, to print at least 8x10s.
> > I think I shall try to print the Interpositives on...
>
> Lukas,
>
> Here are some tips:
>
> Learn to master Pt/Pd printing in 4x5 before attempting large
> negatives. It is
> critical to have a great negative produced for the Pt/Pd process.

Good advice, but I'd take it further. Don't start on Pt/Pd. Get yourself
sorted out on something that is dirt cheap such as cyanotype before you
think about touching the noble (and expensive) metals.

I've got negatives that can be printed pretty well on both cyanotype and
platinum by the way - you can control the contrast of both processes to
some extent.

It might even (though heresy to say so here) be worth trying platinum on
machine coated paper before you go on to coat your own - if the Palladio
materials are stil available.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/