Re: Style and mysticism - Friedlander

Darryl Baird (darrylb@airmail.net)
Thu, 21 May 1998 09:50:55 -0500

<x-html><HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Do you really consider Friedlander a Post-Modernist. I think of
Winogrand and Friedlander as consummate Modernists. But I am somewhat
baffled by his stated respect for the subject again from the Grossmont
College catalogue:

"I like to think of photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect
for the medium, by letting it do what it does best, describe. And
respect for the subject, by describing it as it is. A photograph must
be responsive to both."</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;I'd contend that both are proto-Post-Modernists. Their style is an
appropriated form...the snapshot. This "reference" to another style or
genre is a classic example of PM approach. We would probably have to go
back to Walker Evans to see some of the earliest types of appropriation.
He looked at (and photographed) other systems of visual communication,
referring to a larger social system of meaning...all within the static
frame of the image.

<P>LF's comments above seem to recognize the inherent value in "naive"
approaches to composition, but not subject matter or context. His style
is mainly camouflage for these concerns. I'd pretty much place GW in this
vein as well.

<P>I "grew up" as a photographer with these two models, along with Michals,
Uelsmann, and Gibson. It was their work that first helped me see the duality
inherent in style -- the artist's voice and artist's intent, both are directed
by formal aspects.

<P>later

<P>Darryl</HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Thu May 21 15:00:57 1998