Re: Platine tears and sorrows

Keith Schreiber (StillPoint@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 00:11:43 -0700

Steve,

To eliminate one more possible cause, try tearing your paper with a
straightedge rather than cutting it. I doubt this will solve the problem,
however.

It is not only Platine. I have recently experienced this problem on several
papers including Cranes Crest (Platinotype), Simili Japon, Lenox, and
Platine. And on one print I had a red spot - something I have not seen
before. Also I recently saw a print on Beinfang by Eric Neilsen with a black
spot, so its not just that paper.

When I last talked to Dick Arentz a couple weeks ago he said that he too had
been having this problem. The thing that seemed to solve it for him was to
filter his metal solutions through filter paper from a chemical supply
store. (Coffee filters are too coarse.) Apparently tiny grains of Pt or Pd
may precipitate out of solution and embed themselves in the paper. I have
examined coated sheets to try to find them before printing but with no
success. Heating the solutions may also help. I hope to check out one or
both of these ideas this week, time permitting.

Recently Jeff Mathias suggested that substituting a potassium palladium salt
for the usual sodium palladium salt has eliminated this problem for him.
Worth looking into.

Regards,
Keith