Re: enlarged negs using lith film (reply)

Hamish Stewart & Sophie Colmont (Hamish.Sophie@wanadoo.fr)
Wed, 27 May 1998 08:18:04 +0200

Hi Mike,

Nice to find another australian on the list. But to your question. I
have used both lith film and DD over the years and they have their good
and bad points. I work exclusively with Gum bichromate and I'm happy with
the results from using both types of film. The DD film though expensive
is the easiest route and I have found the results with this film are
excellent. It also comes on a thick base which makes it much better to
handle in my opinion. The downside is that this film has a high base-fog,
so exposure times for your prints are longer. And the largest size it is
available in is 10 x 8. With Kodalith I use Dektol in dilutions varying
from 1:7 to about 1:9. Develop for appprox 2 mins. This combination has
given me excellent gum prints. And now just to add to the confusion, have
you considered using Kodak commercial film 4127? Use D-11 or D-19 as your
developer. Work on using long dev times and experiment with Developer
dilution (consider using straight) to build enough density in the
negative. Develop for at least 2 minutes - you will probably need more.
This is a contiuous tone film so may be a better route than using the
lith film. Personally I would avoid the lith film if you are planning
Platinium or Kallitype. Multiple gum prints seem to work okay with lith
(perhaps because you build up density and contrast with each successive
printing).
I know of a good platinum printer in Sydney - Gordon Undy (he runs
classes and his platinum prints are good - he studied with George Tice)
who works with an Agfa film similar to the Kodak commercial film. Contact
me off list for his contact details.

Cheers
Hamish

-